(Yield 10 cups)
- 1 large onion
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canspicy diced tomatoes (like rotel)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Slice or dice the onion and sauté in a stock pot until soft (in cooking spray, a tablespoon of olive oil, or a little of the chicken broth).
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fat free sour cream and low-fat shredded cheese, if desired. If you like cilantro, chop a little and throw some on top of the soup. Also tasty (though not as healthy) topped with a handful of Fritos.
- Great with a piece of hearty corn bread and fresh fruit.
- This recipe can also be made in a crock pot. Sauté onions first, combine everything in a crockpot, and cook on low 5-6 hours.